Deuteronomy 28:1 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
Blessing and the Curse the two important words. They are real things and have real effects. The blessing is promised, upon condition that they diligently hearken to the voice of God.
s promised, upon condition that they diligently hearken to the voice of God.
My friends as a literary form, this is similar to ancient treaties between a king and his people; this is God the King, making a covenant with His people……
Here our Lord God is promising us…That the LORD your God will set you high above all nations of the earth: Therefore, if we obey the LORD, He would set us high above all nations of the earth, and the blessings would be so powerful that they would come upon and overtake you. Same as he promised Israel.
If we do not keep God’s commandments, we not only come short of the blessing promised, but we lay ourselves under the curse, which includes all misery. Wherever the sinner goes, the curse of God follows; wherever he is, it rests upon him. Whatever he has is under a curse. All his enjoyments are made bitter.
When we say Bible is a book of Promises – This is very much revealed from this Chapter of the Bible.
Going further, Bible promises about God’s goodness. When things get tough, it can be easy to focus on ourselves and our difficulties. Bible promises about who God is and lifts your eyes away from your own situation and put them on to the God who is infinitely good. Hold onto the promises that God is with you in your individual situation.
· Psalm 145:9 The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.
· 1 Chronicles 16:34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
· Psalm 100:5 For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
· James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
· 2 Samuel 7:28 Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your covenant is trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant.
· Psalm 84:11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favour and honour; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
· Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
· Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
· Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.
· Isaiah 40:29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
· Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
· Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
· Jeremiah 29:11 ‘For I know the plans I have for you’, declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
· Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
· Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
· Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
· Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
· Matthew 6:31-33 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
· Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”
· Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
· 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
· Psalm 34:10 The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
· Romans 8:32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
During the time Jesus was on the earth, Jesus made many promises about the peace and hope He offers us. The promises of Jesus give us great hope that He truly is the Savior of the world.
Begin Your Day With God
· Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
· John 14:6 Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’
· John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
· Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners …
· John 14:15-16 “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.”
· John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
Thanks to our lord Jesus who sacrificed his life on the cross, God promises to forgive us and give us eternal life with Him.
For His Glory